Film thickness plays an important role for many processes and products. Due to our long-lasting work with polymer thin film coatings we have collected a deep understanding on how to measure the film thickness of such systems and how to manipulate it to our advantage. Over the last years we also had the possibility to investigate many other layered systems and we use all our know-how in order to support you during product development, trouble shooting and quality management.
Next to film thickness also optical properties influence the way coatings and films can be applied on various products. For example if a sensor should function at a certain wavelength, it is crucial that the applied coating is transparent at this exact wavelength.
A fast and uncomplicated method to determine film thickness and optical properties can be an advantage in many applications:
- Characterisation of substances used in chemical processes and biotechnologies (organics, SAMs, etc.)
- Tracking protein adsorption
- Determination of the glass-transition temperature of polymers
- Analysis of semiconductor materials (resists, masks, SiON, dielectrics, etc.
- Characterisation of optical coatings (oxides, HR and AR coatings, ITO, smart glass, etc.)
- Investigation of display components (organic and inorganic)
- Analysis of coatings for photovoltaic or data-storage applications
The advantage of ellipsometry to access various properties of a material simultaneously is one that we rely on here at SuSoS AG. With this method film thickness as well as optical properties can be determined at once.